ACTED, since 1993 has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential. ACTED, headquartered in Paris, France is present in four continents and our teams intervene in 37 countries towards 8 million people, responding to emergency situations, supporting rehabilitation projects and accompanying the dynamics of development. Over 5,000 staff are dedicated to implementing and developing our projects.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs. ACTED is therefore looking for qualified candidates to support its mission in Maiduguri as:
Job Title: Senior HR/Admin Officer
Department/Office: Office Admin/Coordination
- Provides advice as it pertains to Inspire recruitment selections and ensure adherence to policies and procedures in filling vacant posts.
- Provides advice on guidelines on promotion and placement of staff.
- Represent ACTED in discussions with senior government officials on recruitment and other human resources matters in liaison with ACTED SCLO
- Develop programs to enhance employee relations and offer employee support to each staff member
- Ensure that the new hire orientation process properly introduces new employees to the corporate culture
- Deliver compensation and benefit comparison reports to the executive team each month and make recommendations to improve the organizations wellbeing
- Come up with new ways to measure employee morale and determine methods for improving overall employee satisfaction
- Act as liaison between the legal and professional resources to ensure that all employment policies follow current laws and regulations
- Participates in task forces (INGO Forum) and working groups identifying issues/problems, formulating policies and guidelines, and establishing new procedures that will benefit the organization.
- Serves as ACTED Administrative focal point for the implementation of policies related to human resources management, particularly as it relates to HQs and the field, as well as assists supervisors and staff with understanding human resources policy.
- Provides policy advice to staff and managers on substantive and procedural questions related to administration and management of staff, including the implementation of any human resources reform initiative.
- Reviews and provides advice to Program Managers on requests for exceptions to policies, regulations and rules before transmittal to the Office of coordination.
- Prepares and updates comprehensive Policy Instructions incorporating existing human resources policies, practices and procedures for ease of reference for ACTED staff.
- Serves as focal point for the compilation and submission of comments to draft Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Administrative Instructions disseminated by the Office of coordination.
- Serves on various standing boards, committees, ad hoc working groups and task forces, as required. Also represents the operational interests of ACTED at the policy level for any field-based emergency operations meetings/discussions
- Responsible for the review of Prohibited Conduct and disciplinary cases forwarded by coordination and if required, arrange investigation panels and communicate conclusions to the relevant parties.
- Keeps abreast of developments and trends in various areas of human resources.
- Prepares reports and participates and/or leads special human resources projects.
- Advises the Head of the Unit or Management on the development, modification and implementation of ACTED and practices on entitlements.
- Reviews and recommends level of remuneration for all staff.
- Provides advice on interpretation and application of policies, regulations and rules. Reviews and provides advice on exceptions to policies, regulations and rules.
- Represents the office in joint bodies and working groups relating to salaries and other conditions of service.
- May assist supervisors and staff with understanding and using the performance appraisal system (PAS) and the rebuttal process.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Advises and counsels staff in respect of rights, responsibilities, code of conduct and difficulties associated with work and entitlements.
- Monitors, advises and acts on disciplinary matters in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Supervises and monitors the work of the junior human resources officers in undertaking the full range of human resource management activities.
- Represents the management in classification appeal cases.
- Provides guidance to program managers on the application of classification policies and procedures and by undertaking whole office review.
- Organized and efficient in daily tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently
- Goal-oriented, organized team player
- Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge
- Encouraging to team and staff; able to mentor and lead
- Able present company mission and history clearly and confidently
- Great “people-person” skills and professional attitude
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, or a related field
- Three to five years of experience in a human resources position or related position
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping
- Specialized training in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, training, and preventive labor relations, preferred.
- General knowledge of employment laws and best practices
- Possesses superb spoken communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal relationship building and employee coaching skills
All employees should master ACTED's core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- An understanding of humanitarian/civil society issues in the country and the region.
- 5-6 years working experience, in the field of business is require
- University degree or advanced training/ course in Banking and Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, sociology, social work, international affairs, humanitarian or related field
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Fluency in local spoken languages.
- Experience with the use of Microsoft Office Package
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent command of English language.
- Meticulous attention to details.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines, under pressure.
Method of Application
- Contract length: 4 Months with possibility of extension
- Level: D1-1 (national contract)
- Start date: As soon as possible Desirable.
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English.
- CV and Cover Letter indicating and explaining the suitability to the position applied.
- Provide contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional non-related references, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be review on rolling bases.
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org